Fat Quarter Friday {Wrapping Paper Organizer Tutorial}

I’m so excited about today’s Fat Quarter Friday project. Like, I’m mildly obsessed with it, seriously! It just may be my most favorite thing I have ever made. See, I have been wanting a wrapping station for like… well, for forever. But all the ones I have wanted are just way too pricey for me. So the other day when I was reading my Flea Market Style magazine I saw the most in-genius wrapping paper bin made from an old wooden kitchen stool. Oh yes, I was in LOVE with this idea! It is cheap, practical, and oh so cute! I really should have taken a picture of the stool for you, but truly you should all just go and buy this magazine. It is great! I hardly buy magazines these days, but this one is always a must!So basically their wrapping paper bin was an old kitchen stool turned upside down. On the bottom of the seat part they added casters so that it could easily roll around. Inside of the stool they placed a bag made from fabric to hold all of the wrapping paper. Then they added some little S-hooks to the rungs of the stool to hold scissors in place. Yes, their idea was simply brilliant! BRILLIANT! So I came up with my own design inspired by their wrapping paper bin. My wrapping paper organizer fits my needs perfectly and hope it will fit your wrapping needs as well or at least inspire you to make one that will fit your needs. So enough explaining about this wrapping paper organizer, lets make one!

Wrapping Paper Organizer Tutorial

(allow 2+ hours to make)

Materials Needed:

* Kitchen stool. Keep your eyes open for one at the thrift store or yard sales. I used a stool we had but were no longer using. I actually bought it a few years ago at Walmart for about $20.

* Fabric: To make two larger bags and two smaller bags like I did you are going to need about 2 1/2 yards of fabric or one $5 twin flat sheet from Walmart. Of course you will need more fabric depending on the size of your stool and the design of your fabric chosen. Read below to see how to determine the amount of fabric needed.

* 4 Casters. You can buy these at any hardware store.

* 2 packages of bias tape or about 4 yards of homemade bias tape. (Of course you could use ribbon as well.) And really the amount needed depends on how long your want your ties to be.

My stool was a light colored wood that I no longer like so I sprayed it white. Now here is how you determine how much fabric you are going to need. Take and lay your stool on its side. Measure from right under the seat part to the bottom of the last rung. Mine measured 18″ long. Now measure the length between the legs at the widest part of the legs. Mine measured 12″ at the widest part. Another way to measure is to lay a piece of fabric down on the table and then lay the stool (on it’s side) on top of that piece of fabric. Then trace onto the fabric right under the seat and then trace on the bottom of the last rung. Then trace on the outer edges of the legs of the stool. Confused? It’s actually really easy and once you see the second picture below you will totally understand what I mean. See the piece of fabric below? This is the piece that I traced out and cut. You are going to want to cut out a piece of fabric like so as well. Now you are going to need 4 pieces cut like so to make one bag. Which means you are going to need 12 pieces the same exact size to make a gift wrapping organizer just like mine. So measure your piece of fabric or use your measurements to determine the amount of fabric needed. I actually used a $5 sheet from Walmart, but by my calculations I came up with about 2 1/2 yards needed per stool for a stool my size. But to be certain, do the math yourself by your measurements.Cut out your 12 pieces of fabric per your measurements. Take two pieces of fabric and sew right sides together on the sides and the bottom. Leave the top (widest part of bag) open. See picture below.Now you want to square off the edges to give the bag shape. To do this, fold your bag out like shown below.  Now measure in about 1 1/2″ from the tip of the bag. Draw a line across. Sew on the lines you just drew.Trim off the excess fabric.Now your bag has shape. Make 3 more bags like you just did. You will want a total of 4 bags with 4 pieces of fabric left over. The remaining 4 pieces will be cut later to make the smaller bags.Now gather your bias tape.You are going to cut your bias tape or ribbons to the length that you want your ties to be. I cut 6 pieces of bias tape 24″ long. Now top stitch your bias tape shut.Measure in 2″ from the edge of your bag on both sides. This is where you will want to attach your bias tape. Fold bias tape in half. Place folded part of bias tape on top of marks and tack in place. Now take one of your bags and turn it wrong side out. Place right side out bag that has ties inside. Pin both bags together at top.Sew around top while leaving an opening for turning right sides out.Turn bag right side out through opening.Press and top stitch around top edge.Now tie the bag onto the stool.Repeat with the other two bags.Now gather the remaining 4 pieces of fabric and fold in half like below. Cut on folded edge.Now you have 4 pieces of fabric in two different sizes. 4 smaller pieces and 4 bigger pieces. The two different sizes will give you the two different sized bags. So just like before, you are going to make 2 bags from the four pieces of fabric. Just make sure you are sewing the same sized pieces together.

Attach all of the bags to the stool and attach your 4 casters to the seat of the stool. Space them out evenly on the edges of seat.Now gather all of your wrapping supplies and start filling those bags.Use the rungs of the stool without a bag to store your folded tissue paper on.Place your wrapping paper in the middle.Use the smaller pockets to hold your siscors, tape, hole punch, cards, tags, pens, markers or any of your smaller items.And use the larger pockets to hold your ribbons, boxes or bags.

So what do you think? LOVE it?I know I do! Big Thanks to Flea Market Style for the great idea!*Just remember all of my tutorials are for PERSONAL use only! Please feel free to use any of my pictures, just link back and give credit where credit is due, thanks!*

Comments

1. very ingenious

2. Shut the front door! This is amazing, love love love it! You did a great job, such a functional idea.

3. Mustangkayla says:

How fun is that? Such a great idea!

4. HOLY tipped stool Batman!!! That’s awesome! When you said stool, I was thinking something completely different! As in right side up (how boring) lol and something similar to those gigantic bucket caddy thingies… Well I was on the right track- just “right” side up… lol I bet that is pretty stable too. Now it just needs a parking sign… :) LOVE IT!

5. Love it! I’ve never even heard of that magazine before, but now I totally want it! Thanks for sharing :)

6. Really cute!!! I just have one of those tupperware things, but now I’m rethinking that random stool on my porch!

7. Wowsa! This is so smart! I have been struggling with ways to store wrapping supplies for years, and this is the best idea I have seen yet. I will be copying this soon, and visiting your blog often! Thanks so much. (PS, I pinned this!)

8. what an amazing idea

9. That is AWESOME!!! LOVE it!!

10. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

11. Simply wanna state that this is very helpful , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

12. oS7m7y Wow, great blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Cool.

13. Oh my goodness! I LOVE this idea! I think I even have an old stool tucked away in the basement (probably behind my mish-mash storage of wrapping paper). I’m totally going to give this a try.

14. This is a great idea. I’m going to make one before Christmas time just to get all my wrapping supplies organized. I love the casters so I can wheel it around and back into the closet. Have you thought about adding a dowel rod between the ‘feet’ to hold spools of ribbon?

15. I love this, especially the wheels. The little plastic bin I have is not cutting it I think this may be a project in the near future, I pinned it for later reference. Thanks

16. Joyce Ellis says:

Great idea! Thank you so much for sharing!!

17. This is so clever! How did you ever came up with this idea? I’d love to feature your project on my blog. Or rather… what if you write a guest post? I host a guest blogger every Friday and I’d be happy if you did! Just let me know.
    Love, Olga

18. what a clever and cute way to store wrapping paper.

19. What a great idea! I have re-painted 2 step stools that I “garbage hauled” from the sidewalk and frankly, now have too many stools, since I already had a couple! This would be great for one of them! I bhope I find more so I can give away to friends after doing this!!!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Diddie @ citicasita.blogspot.com

20. jodie hickman says:

This is totally awesome! If you do not mind, I am going to made myself one out of leftover laminated cotton. Probably going to be a mismatch of fabrics, but I have been waiting for an idea that would not take up much room and would accommodate all supplies. THANK YOU.
    When I get around to making I will send you a picture. It may be a while I have a lot on my to do list. :)

21. Super clever!

22. Love it, I have stools I bought at a yard sale. I am going to try and make it. You have great instructions.
    Thanks

23. But who uses wrapping paper?

24. I could see this as a teacher stool. Turn it so it is right side up, only put pockets on three sides and leave off the wheels.

25. Kelley Dever says:

I love this idea. I also love the fact that you put your website on the photos. I saw this on pinterest and it linked to some asian website that I couldn’t read but saw your copyright mark on the bottom of the photo and was able to track it back to you!!

26. I think it would be neat as well if you fixed a dowel, or a small tension rod to two of the legs that you could hold the ribbon on that way and make it a bit easier to use. Unless you have a lot of ribbons…. I really like this, I accually have a stool that the seat came off and is in need of repair, but alas, I don’t know where I would put it if I did fix it so it sits broken. Thank you for giving me a reason to save the stool, and have somewhere nice to put my wrapping paper.

Wow!!! Can’t wait to make one!

28. çà c’est une riche idée !
    Bravo !

29. Holy Craft Woman! This is so cool!

30. I just love that idea to organize!

31. check this out

32. Christine Sherman says:

GREAT, I love it! Thanks!

33. Super, fantastic, so much better than anything in the store. I have something but it isn’t long enough for some rolls of paper and I sometimes have too many rolls to fit into the box.

34. fantastic!BRAVO I liked very much.Thank you for letting us to see those wonderful ideas

35. super cette idee, il faut que je deniche ce genre de tabouret merci

36. Très ingénieux ! Merci pour les idées…

37. Love this idea. I’m thinking the legs and pockets of some old blue jeans would work on an old well-used red stool I have. Could be a cool toy/book/doll holder too.

38. I used your idea, but instead of making the bags for the sides I went to the thrift store and bought bags. Got 5 bags for $1.00 detached the handles and reattached them over the rungs of the chair. Thanks for the inspiration!

39. Lovely!!! So much nicer than a carton.Thank you for sharing.

40. I’m confused regarding the 4 big bags you made. 2 go on the sides, where do the other 2 go? One side has 2 small bags, and one is left for tissue paper. Please help! I really wanna make this!

41. Directions say 4 pieces of fabric per bag but i only see 2 being used. Please help!

42. Thank you for share. It’s a wonderful idea!!!!!!

43. marli oliveira says:

Lindo de mais.bjssssssssssssssssss

44. Very cleaver! an awesome way of having everything you need in one place. I NEED one of these!!!

45. very cleaver!!! its a must going forward.

46. sweet tooth says:

great organizer for special occasions

47. This is awesome! Thanks for the great tutorial. I’ve been looking for a sewing project for my daughter and me. You make it very easy!

48. Fantastic tutorial! I will be on a look-out for one of these stools. Love this idea to organize!

49. Very very good. Thanks. Tiziana

50. thats awesome idea.. thanks

51. I don’t sew …. who would be willing to sew the fabric pieces for me so I can have this? I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I NEED NEED NEED this. Pretty please?

52. I just love that idea

53. Love the idea. Cannot wait to make my own :)

54. oo oo ooo…..could be used as sports equipment holder such as bats, gloves etc or how about for mops,brooms etc

55. Hi, I am brazilian and I loved your tips! Congratulations! I will share with my mother, I am sure that she will love a lot too! Bye!

56. sharellezabellza says:

I dont have time to sew the bags so going to use some spare pillow cases and sew ribbon for tying them :)

57. I found you via your watermark. This website: http://www.surprisediy.com/diy-281.html appears to have taken your photos and make a pinterest graphic with no attribution to you. I just wanted to let you know in case you are interested in pursuing it.

58. I was thinking you could also use this for storing your cleaning gear. Making more of he smaller bags instead of the bigger ones, and use them for cleaners, cleaning cloths, rags and/or sponges, and put your brooms, mops and swiffers and telescopic dusters in between the rungs. Take the bottom and top off a coffee can, make four holes in the sides, the run a piece of string or leather thong through one hole and then to each of the legs. You can put the mops etc in this which should hang in the center, keeping your poles together while leaving room for more small bags in the inside of the stool’s legs as well, if one felt they needed more storage space in addition to the outside pouches.

59. For those of you who don’t sew, you can use drawstring laundry bags that can be purchased at any Wal-Mart or Dollar Store.

This is neat.thank

61. Melissa Weist says:

Please tell me the color of the paint on the wall!!! Gorgeous. Just what I want for my front bathroom! Failed twice already and soon to paint it a third time. (yeah I notice the fine details in the background)

62. Christine says:

Well, I can’t wait to make mine. I have a stool just waiting to have something done to it and lots of colorful material that needs a project. Wow, maybe I will make more than one and possible take them to a craft sale. Thanks for such a wonderful idea.

63. Jacquelynn says:

FABULOUS IDEA’S!!!! I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY SOME OF THESE:) THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

64. Bella!! Y en mi pais esas sillas son muy comunes y baratas! Gracias por compartir tus ideas!

65. gadoura says:

ça c’est une idée géniale, avec un tabouret renversé super merci beaucoup pour ce partage

66. What a fabulous and clever idea!!!!
    I have just made a post about it in my blog
    (with links and credits of course!)

thanks again for sharing this!!!

67. This is so awesome! Cute and practical! I totally love things like that.

68. Great idea…this is awesome

69. Marilyn Guy McCoy says:

This is such a great idea…I could use this design to make my husband a small roll around tool holder for all of his tools that way when he’s working on repairing the hundreds of arcade games that get messed up daily he could use that to assist him….I could even use some of that metal (forget what it is called), that has the holes all in it and attach it to each of the legs to resemble a four leaf clover and have hooks in each eye of it to hold other tools….

70. I think I would string more bias tape from leg to leg inside the big opening to hold the rolls more upright :) this idea is great! Auction – bound I am!!

71. I just found this on allfreesewing.com. I already see a use for this in my sewing room, but not for Christmas wrap. I have an idea for adapting it for my fabric bolts and oft-used supplies. Thanks so much for sharing this!

72. This is such a great idea. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

73. Super idea!!!! I will make one to hold wrapping paper, rolls of stuff in my sewing room, patterns and a million other things on my shelves..thanks again

74. Need to otganize!

75. OMG! I love this idea. Sure beats the plastic containers they sell that don’t organize well, just store. I’ve got a slightly wobbly stool we don’t like to sit on that would make a great framework. I’m going to add fabric to my list for tomorrow’s shopping trip so I can put this together this weekend. Bye, bye hated plastic container!

Question: What size casters did you use?

• OK, scrolling back up through the comments I read a couple more that I missed before…sewing room…yard and garden tools…. I think I have to buy a few more stools. Might even make one to add next to the door for umbrellas, hats, scarves, gloves…maybe even a “launch pouch” to hold items I need to take with me when I leave the house.

76. This has to be one of the best ideas I’ve seen in a long time. Thanks for finding and sharing it. I can’t wait to try it since the instructions are so easy to follow and the idea of purchasing laundry bags at Walmart, brilliant!

77. Spotted your organizer in the winter 2013 issue of flea market style. Love It! I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a stool while out thrifting. I am going to link to your tutorial on my blog for one of my 5 on Friday. I am new to your blog and now a follower.

78. Hi! I featured this this week, I hope that’s ok!! :) Here is the link….http://sewlicioushomedecor.com/sew-organized-wrapping-paper-bar-stool-organizer-tutorial/

Marti

79. Mary Bethany Collins says:

Stupendous! If most people are like me, they have many sheets they don’t use. I had some really pretty ones, as well as an old kitchen stool I (thankfully) never threw out. My stunning gift-wrapping storage unit now sits in a corner of the room wherein my dining table lives. It is pretty when not using, and right there with everything I need to wrap anything I want! SUPER idea, and matches the colors of my dining room. It gets many comments–all positive–from friends who come to dine.

80. Really clever idea *shared*

81. Anna Dieton says:

This is an awesome idea. I do a lot of craft and gift wrapping. I had stacked my gift wraps in a mesh bin but was not quite happy with the storage. Your project has finally helped me organize all my craft stuff in one place.

82. I loved it! Thanks for your idea.

83. Thank you for your great idea – I use it for when my grandchildren and great grandchildren come to visit it is easier to get them to clean up the toys after they have finished playing and before they go home that way I don’t have to clean up after them and they love it because they can push it around

84. hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here.

I did however expertise a few technical issues using this web site,
    since I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to I could get it to
    load properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very
    frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if
    advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out
    for a lot more of your respective interesting
    content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

85. Do you believe that unlicensed contractors the design stage, was found.
    All reputable unlicensed contractors contractors are the best worker for the National Security
    Agency NSA. The agency raked in more than 15 years experience and expertise.

However, if you want to use their intricate skills to the proper way of your products, and you may need it.

86. At this time I am going to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming
    over again to read more news.

87. Most household goods movers provide free quotes for their services.
    Despite the conveniences your company offers to your customers, you may
    be seeing an unwanted decline in business. Moving from one
    place to other would not have been such a difficult task had not the number of
    things that needed to be moved being so overwhelming.

88. I don’t know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing issues with
    your site. It appears as though some of the written txt withion your content
    are running off the screen. Can somebody ele please provide feedback and let me know if
    this is happening to them as well? This might be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Thanks

89. We’ve got this specific set for my own boy 24 months ago, and it’s got held up slightly nicely.In spite of how much our daughter bests up all the parts with this
    kitchen play, I know these will overcome him and his younger brother.

This kitchen set is really worth premium value

90. This will help you in selecting the company on the basis of the services offered and also
    on the cost they charge. Hey, the moving company reserved your truck and has to hopefully be able
    to book it within the next 48 hours in order to
    make up for the lost revenue. It must be active in the moving industry for more than ten years.

1. [...] advice online, in books or magazines and also from professionals who can be generous with advice.There are many reasons why people decide to do a bit of DIY around their homes. For most though, it …from necessity, like at the weekend or bank holiday when you cannot get hold of a plumber. The high [...]

2. [...] might be my favorite tutorial of the month: A Wrapping Paper Organizer. Made from a stool, a few casters and a bed sheet. [...]

3. [...] a plain barstool upside down, give it a coat of paint, stitch up some pockets and voila!  A wrapping paper storage station by Two Little [...]

4. [...] Wrapping Paper Organizer tutorial [...]

5. [...] Para conferir o tutorial, clique aqui. E caso queira mais detalhes do projeto, dê uma chegadinha até o 2 Little Hooligans. [...]

6. [...] to original how-to: http://www.2littlehooligans.com/2012/06/08/fat-quarter-friday-wrapping-paper-organizer-tutorial/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Posted in: [...]

7. [...] paper was cracking and didn’t hold everything. That is when I found this “pin”. 2 little hooligans made a wrapping paper station from am upside down bar stool. OMG!! [...]

8. [...] to look for scissors, ribbon, paper, tape and of course, it’s never handy is it?  I saw this idea a long while back and just new it was exactly what I needed.  While mine is not near as classy [...]

9. [...] was made by 2 little hooligans and I just love the idea. It’s great because it’s on wheels and can be rolled to any [...]

10. [...] feeling a little more crafty and are up for a bit of a sewing challenge, try this cool idea from 2 Little Hooligans.  This gift wrap station makes clever use of an old stool, turning it upside down to create [...]

11. [...] great tutorial from 2 Little Hooligans walks you through the steps of making your own gift wrapping paper caddy. You can transform a stool [...]

12. [...] 4. With a little creativity, an upside-down stool becomes a useful gift wrap organizer. By adding wheels to the bottom, you can easily move it around wherever needed. Wrapping Paper Organizer Tutorial [...]

13. [...] a super mamãe lá do blog 2 Little Hooligans fez uma coisa do tipo “como eu não pensei nisso antes” que eu adorei, vejam [...]

14. [...] 2 Little Hooligans: Wrapping Paper Organizer [...]

15. [...] This clever tutorial comes from 2 Little Hooligans. [...]

16. [...] to the tutorial: Wrapping Paper Caddy via 2 Little [...]

17. [...] can Pin it by going to Pinterest here then visit 2 little hooligans for the full tutorial on how to make the [...]

18. [...] 7. Gift Wrapping Station from a Stool [...]

19. [...] 7. Gift Wrapping Station from a Stool [...]

20. [...] 2 Little Hooligans: Wrapping Paper Organizer [...]

21. […] Wrapping Paper Caddy:  (via 2 Little Hooligans) […]

22. […] Wrapping Paper Caddy:  (via 2 Little Hooligans) […]

23. […] Such a great way to organize all the wrapping necessities!  You could paint the stool a fun color and pick out some cute material make it fit your style!  Check out the full tutorial at 2 little hooligans. […]

24. […] can work your way through the steps on the 2 Little Hooligans blog […]

25. […] This organizing method from 2 Little Hooligans is a MUCH better option. You’ll find the tutorial here! […]

26. […] via 2 Little Hooligans […]

27. […] Source: http://www.2littlehooligans.com/2012/06/08/fat-quarter-friday-wrapping-paper-organizer-tutorial/ […]

28. […] via Marcus Design Inc via Brit + Co. via Make It & Love It via The Idea Room via 2 Little Hooligans (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || […]

29. […] you can find alternatives if you don’t want to sew. Check out the full tutorial here… 2 Little Hooligans: Wrapping Paper Organizer Image Credit: […]

30. […] 7. Gift Wrapping Station from a Stool […]

31. […] 2 Little Hooligans: Wrapping Paper Organizer […]

32. […] options in the event you don’t need to sew. Check out the complete tutorial right here… 2 Little Hooligans: Wrapping Paper Organizer Image Credit: […]