Baby crib turned front porch daybed.

A few months ago my two littlest decided to start climbing out of their cribs. So much to my liking they were put into big girl beds and ever since then bedtime and naptime has not been the same. I tell ya there is one big ole party happening up there two times a day. Oh those two little girls can be naughty! Anyways, I was left with two cribs and had no idea what to do with them until I saw this post. It gave me the inspiration to put one of the cribs onto the front porch.
Basically all I did was convert the crib to a daybed and then sawed off the legs about 8″. The normal height looked a little too high and cribish for me, plus it is a better height for the kids to climb up on. I made a few pillows and used a few that I already had. The green pillowcase was something I found for $1 at the thrift store the other day. It was a sham for a square pillow, so I just ended up sewing it to fit a regular sized pillow instead.
I found this green fabric for another steal…3 1/2 yards for just $6. I used it to make a fitted cover for the mattress and to cover a body pillow that is being used as a cushion for the back.
It was one of those projects that took no time at all to do, but has been a great addition to the porch. I think it took me longer to sweep the front porch clean then what it did to make this. Unfortunately it took the kiddos even less time to spread all of those leaves onto my newly swept floor.
The kiddos love it just as much as I do.
And I love that I have a way of keeping my first baby’s crib. Some things I have a hard time parting with and this was one of those. I mean, it still has his little baby teeth marks in it. How do you throw something like that away?

Comments

1. Angee @ Sunshine in my life says:

OMG!! We were just talking about selling our crib but love this idea. It would look perfect on our porch. I love your door wreath too! Are they just pom poms?

2. Mandi @ Finding Home says:

This is SO smart!! We have a convertable crib and though I had planned on using it for when my daughter needs a toddler bed…you just never know! I'm definatly keeping this in mind. It looks great!! And love your orange door!

3. so cute! We have a side porch that would be perfect for one of these

4. elizabeth says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

5. Krista S. says:

Wow!! I love it!!! Wish our crib was that nice so I could so the same :) in love with your door and house paint colors too. And the wreath is just awesome!

6. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [22 Oct 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

7. What a fabulous idea! It looks so beautiful. Love the colors of your pillows. I have on of those little ladders too, I love mine.

8. Kalyn Ernest says:

This is GENIUS!!!

9. Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com says:

So pretty! What a great idea! LOVE!

10. Our crib has adorable bun feet that I couldn't bear to cut off, but I might try this anyway. Love!

11. Becky @ The Barefoot Seamstress says:

Awesome idea! Now I just have to get our youngest out of her crib…easier said than done, right?! New follower :)

12. MJ @ 517 Creations says:

LOVE this idea!! It looks great on your porch. Speaking of your porch, I'd love to know the paint color for your porch floor…we're going to repaint ours in the spring and I'm loving that color!

13. This was such a great idea and looks perfect on your porch!

14. Sunshine Blossoms says:

I absolutely LOVE this idea! My little boy will probably be moving into a big boy bed sometime in the near future so I am totally going to remember this idea! Great job – Thanks for sharing.
    {Found you on Tatertots & Jello!}

15. I love this! I've seen also where they've converted cribs into desks, which I love as well, but this is SO YOU!

16. that's a great idea! I have one left and thought about selling it… but if this won't happen, I'll paint it and put it onto my balcony!
    thanks for sharing!

17. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy says:

this is AMAZING!!! I seriously wish I had more skills in the carpentry department…awesome work!!!! I love it!

18. Love! I was also gong to sell my crib, but think it might find a home on our deck. =)

19. Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) says:

Soooooo cute! I am on the look-out for old cribs since the drop-sides ones are banned now. Really want a nice bench made from one! Great job!!! I love the sweater pillows, too!!

20. Wow. Now THAT'S a porch I'd like to go sit on with a warm drink and a good book!! What a great idea!!
    Thanks for sending me those pics!! :D

21. I love this! I've been wanting to do this with our old crib, but thought it would be complicated….great looking front porch!!

22. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [23 Oct 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

23. love so much about this post . . . of course the crib! the orange door . . . and the wreath! did you make it?

24. wow that looks awesome! i'd love to hang out on that porch and your front door color is sweet with the pom pom wreath too!!!

25. Momma Bird says:

What a fantastic idea!!!!!!! I would have NEVER thought of that! I just found you from Pumpkin Heads and Dooda Loo's on FB! I'm so glad she pointed me in your direction :) Great blog :)

26. You did a really nice job converting the crib into a seat! I love your color combination, too. I'm attached the teeth marks on our baby crib :)

27. Just Simply Live says:

OMG, you are the smartest person ever. SO MAD i just got rid of mine

28. love this idea. genius!

29. mustangkayla says:

I just LOVE this idea! Very cool and yours looks fantastic!

30. abeachcottage says:

Wow, that is such a great idea and it turned out lovely!

31. Lovley! I plan on doing this with my daughters crib once she gets a new bed in a few weeks. I would love for you to stop by and link up your bench to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up.

32. What a GREAT idea! It's lovely! We're not through with our cribs yet, but I will have to remember this idea!

33. luvinthemommyhood says:

Love how this turned out! You did such a great job!!!

34. Did you have to reinforce it so adults could sit on it?

i did not reinforce it…yet. since the kids were the only ones still sitting outside that time of the year I didnt but will be in the spring. cribs will hold about 150 pounds so it can hold me and a couple of kids. but yes, if a larger person is going to be sitting on it, reinforce it with some wood.

36. Ok, whew! My husband literally just took the mattress to our (9-year old) daughter's crib out to the curb tonight for recycling/trash tomorrow morning. After reading your blog – found on Pinterest – I ran outside and pulled it back inside. We have an alcove and I am SO creating a daybed to go in there! You are brilliant!

37. My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

38. You actually make it appear so easy with your presentation but I to find this topic to be really one thing which I think I might never understand. It seems too complex and extremely extensive for me. I am looking forward to your subsequent publish, I will attempt to get the hold of it!

I love the idea, but one question how did you do the back side as a solid piece of wood, most ole cribs have the slots in them all around,

• Anonymous says:

It’s just that kind of crib that has the solid side. I have the exact same crib- from KMart, years ag0

40. I so love this idea! Thanks for sharing, I’m gonna try this!

41. thank you. i work at a thirft shop. we’re always trying to find new ideal’s for our customers. my husband built a crib bench. it’s great, love it. thank you from hope 1. thank you again.

42. LOVE, LOVE this idea! I have twins and their cribs are almost 12 yrs old but I could not get rid of them…..they are side drop so cannot sell them, etc. Do you think it would with stand being on a deck on the south side of the house? Do you think they need to be painted? They are a lighter wood that has the gloss over it.

Thank you so much!

43. I’m really inspired with your writing skills and also with the format for your weblog.
    Is this a paid topic or did you customize it your self?
    Anyway stay up the excellent quality writing, it’s uncommon to look a
    great blog like this one today..

44. I am not sure where you’re getting your information, but great topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.

45. You ought to take part in a contest for one of the best websites on the internet.
    I’m going to highly recommend this site!

46. Hi I am so grateful I found your web site, I really found you by error,
    while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Anyhow I
    am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous
    post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read through it all at the moment but I
    have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time
    I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb work.

1. [...]  {Imágenes y más información en www.2littlehooligans.com} [...]

2. [...] Blue Cricket Design, The Art of the R’s, Storage Glee, Achados de Decoração, Pinterest, 2 little hooligans, Certified Cribs, A Little Learning for two, Do you kids [...]

3. [...] Similar to the benches above, a comfy daybed or loveseat can be created by simply removing one side of the crib, adding steel corner braces to secure the remaining three sides, paint if desired, and make an easy mattress cover. Accessorize with numerous pillows of different sizes in coordinating colors and fabrics and you’ve got a cozy new loveseat. See how to repurpose your crib to make a cozy daybed: (http://www.2littlehooligans.com/2011/10/21/baby-crib-turned-front-porch-daybed/). [...]