Even though I was sent home last week from Project Run and Play I still decided to sew along with the flickr group. This weeks challenge was to use a king sized white sheet to create an outfit. This was a tough one, there are so many different things that can be made with all that fabric. I planned on making two red dresses that were full of layers and ruffles. But after dyeing my fabric 6 times and only coming up with a pinkish color I gave in and totally changed my idea. What I came up with instead were two little white tennis dresses. I cannot help but love two little girls in white dresses! I spent hours folding, ironing and top stitching to give the fabric all of its dimensions. This is unlike something I have never made before. I normally never add so much detail to my pieces, but for some reason this design came to mind and I just went with it. When I saw my finished dresses they totally looked different then the designs I had planned out in my head. The first thing I thought when I saw them was that they looked like tennis outfits. So I went with the tennis theme…and made a visor. Do you know how hard it is to make a visor? Getting the right shape was tough. I started out by cutting two circle skirts a little larger then their regular sizes and then started started folding and ironing all around the skirts to give it its straight lines. Then I sewed all of the straight lines. On one of the skirts I used the sewn straight lines as the front and the other skirt I put the sewn lines to the back. The skirt on the left is the one where I used the sewn straight lines on the front. Once all of the straight lines were stitched, I then ironed the little piece of fabric that stood up to one side. Then I top stitched that little flap down. Once I finished doing that I added a little more detail to both skirts by top stitching all around the top and bottom of the skirts. I added the same details in the bodices as what I did in the skirts. Yes, a lot of folding, ironing and top stitching! I finished off all of the edges with bias tape. I even added a little strip of bias tape around the waist for more detail. Both the bodices and skirts were lined. Unfortunately my littlest is a bit sick, so I wasn’t able to get many photos of her dress. She just wanted to snuggle with a big ole sweatshirt on…while wearing her sweatband. I just love the dimensions that all of the top stitching gives it. And here are a billion more pics just because I can’t help but love a little girl in a white tennis outfit! Don’t forget to head over to Project Run and Play in the morning to check out what the remaining contestants made from one king sheet. I have a feeling they are going to be amazing! And check out the flickr group, it is insane already!
September 28, 2012