Fat Quarter Friday {guest post from Syzygy of Me}

I’m so excited about today’s Fat Quarter Friday and not because the post I wrote last night was never saved so I lost everything, but because Karen’s idea is brilliant and way better then what I had planned anyways. It is one of those “Now why did I think of that?!” projects. Trust me, this is brilliant! So let’s all welcome Karen from Syzygy of Me.

Hi 2 little hooligans readers!  I am Karen from Syzygy of Me, and I am so excited to share a project with you for Fat Quarter Friday!

Do you cringe every time you have to remove a hot bowl from the microwave, afraid that you will burn your fingers, or worse yet, drop the bowl and spill the hot contents on you or your kiddos?  Well fear no more because today I am going to show you how to make a bowl potholder so you don’t even have to touch that hot bowl!

Here is what you will need:

2 coordinating fat quarters (100% cotton)

100% cotton batting

cotton thread

sewing machine

quilting ruler and mat or scissors

pins

fabric marker

chopstick or bodkin for pushing out corners

You want to make sure you use 100% cotton materials because synthetic fibers could melt or catch fire in the microwave.  Be sure your batting doesn’t contain scrim or glue.

To figure out how big to cut your squares, measure the outside of the bowl from one edge to the other.

Then cut one square from each fabric, and two squares of batting to this measurement.  My bowl measured 10″, so my squares were 10″.

Place one fabric square right side up on top of a batting square, and quilt them together by sewing an X with a straight stitch diagonally to opposite corners.  Repeat for the other fabric square.  (Yes, I switched fabric on you!)

Now your are going to make darts in the centers of each side to give the potholder a bowl shape.

Fold the quilted square in half to find the center for the dart.  I found the best way to do this was to line it up on my quilting mat grid and mark the stitch line with a fabric marker.  I came in 1″ and down 2 1/4″ for the dart.  Pin and repeat on all four sides.  Repeat for other quilted square.

Sew along marked lines, back tacking at the ends of the darts.  Trim seams.

The two halves should resemble bowls at this point.

Pin the bowls right sides together, matching corners and dart seams.  Using 1/4″ seam, sew together, leaving about 3″ open for turning.  I always put two pins at the opening to remind me where I am supposed to stop.

Trim corners.  Turn right side out, push out corners, and press.

Topstitch around the edge, and you are done!

This is what the outside looks like.

This is a pretty forgiving pattern, and if you have an odd shaped bowl you are trying to fit, the darts can be adjusted to the length or depth you need.  Just test the fit of the bowl before the darts are sewed, and make adjustments as needed.

These work great for making hot cereals or reheating foods in the microwave.

They can also be used as an insulating pad for cold foods like ice cream, so your lap and hands don’t freeze!  They should only be used in the microwave, though, and are not for use in a regular, toaster, or convection oven.

Thanks so much for having me, Christina, and I hope you all enjoy this quick and fun little project!

Comments

1. Mustangkayla says:

How neat! Great tutorial! I just pinned it on Pinterest!

2. Maria Mendoza says:

What a great idea/ Thanks for sharing

3. I love it! What a useful project!

4. VickiT says:

This is just awesome. We have been using an extra plate larger than the bowl but this will save on washing dishes. Saving on washing plates is always a good thing. :) We would heat the food in the bowl and then slide it onto the plate. Of course the plate would gradually get warm underneath the bowl so all it really did was give us a place to hold onto it without touching the hot bowl and to have a place for any spills to go. These though are SO much better. Great idea. thank you.

5. Well that’s just brilliant! I love it and may just have to give it a go!

6. ADORABLE! This is something I would actually use because I’m always burning my hands on the bowl when it comes out from the microwave. And the fact that I could use fabric that matches my curtains seals the deal!

7. This is brilliant! This will come in handy during the winter months especially. I find myself microwaving all kinds of things in the mornings.

8. I’m also commenting to let you know of the fabulous encounter my daughter experienced reading through the blog. She figured out some details, with the inclusion of what it’s like to possess an excellent coaching character to have most people very easily know selected grueling things. You really did more than our expected results. Many thanks for presenting such beneficial, trusted, edifying not to mention unique tips on your topic to Kate.

9. You are my breathing in, I possess few web logs and rarely run out from brand :). “The soul that is within me no man can degrade.” by Frederick Douglas.

10. Just made some of these and immediately used one for soup for my husband. He actually like it! Great idea. I know I will pass this along to friends. Simple but very useful. Thanks

11. Saw this on Pionterest – brilliant – I have not been quilting for while – this is the perfect project to get started again…now I have to figure out how to crochet and felt it – I think wool would work in the micorwave.

12. Mary Stewart says:

Just linked over from Pinterest. I was floored at how simple yet brilliant your bowl pad is. I will be making these for Christmas, house warming/ new apartment gifts etc. Love your blog and have signed up to get your emails. Thanks again, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve burned my hands or spilled hot soup on my hands because I thought I had a good grip on the hot bowl with a regular hot pad or kitchen towel. BRILLIANT DESIGN!

• Anonymous says:

J. Patrick says, Aug, 2013
      GREAT IDEA, can’t wait to make and use this wonderful hand saver. Age or injury can make it hard to hold onto bowls when removing items from the microwave, and even harder when you are a short person and the microwave it set in the wall above the kitchen range. Thank you for such a great idea. All of my retired buddies will love these.

13. It’s really a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

14. I just use handmade potholders, but these are cute.

15. you are brilliant, i now know what i am making everyone for christmas this year

16. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. These will make cute little gifts.

17. Nancy Wolff says:

I Will Be Making These For Christmas Presents. Great Idea

18. Love the detail of your pattern and instruction.
    Thanks so much…what a great gift.
    Mary

19. I am amazed. I will certainly be making some of these practical, useful items, and some for family and friends. Thank you.

20. So, do you use in the microwave as you are heating up the food in the bowl?

• Yes Ruth, the bowl is placed in the hot pad before putting it in the microwave. That is why 100% cotton batting is required.

21. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help
    with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog
    to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good gains.
    If you know of any please share. Thanks!

22. I LOVE the idea and the tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing. It just the type of small project i was looking for :-)!

23. Annette Lafontaine says:

Really love this little bowl holder ! Would you have the measurements to make one for regular dinner plates ? That would be really handy too ! Thank you !

24. Thank you so much. This will be a perfect little homemade gifty for hubby’s Santa stocking!

25. Made it. Love it. Will make more . Thank you :)

26. I have purchased everything in cotton as you recommended,but went to WalMart and they sell the Potato Express. I looked at the labels, and the whole thing is polyester, including the poly fill. Of course, itis made in China, but obviously has to work, or it would not be sold in The USA. I am doing mine all in cotton anyway, just in case.

27. Pat Glissman says:

I can’t wait to make some for my bosses. It is hard to come up with something I think they would like and use. I plan on personalizing them. (ie:one of my female bosses likes to golf. I found the perfect golf print for her. Thank you for sharing!

28. I’m confused and concerned. The materials required say to use 100% cotton batting but not all cotton batting can be used in the microwave. It can be bonded with an acrylic solution (flammable), it can contain scrim (polyester grid that holds the fibers together and is flammable), it can have a glue saturation to hold the fibers together (flammable) and even though the package says 100% cotton, it can contain polyester fibers to hold the cotton fibers together. Right now, I know of only two 100% cotton brands that can be used in a microwave….Pellon’s Wrap n Zap and Warm and Natural’s Warm Tater. Mountain Mist Rose Dream 100% may be usable AFTER it has been washed before putting into the microwave. It is bonded with a water soluble solution that washes out. I realize these pot holders are only used for a short period of time but why take a chance on using a flammable batting?

Can you clarify the batting question for me? .

29. your partner’s testimony was in 1999. developed contacted Oke in london to wish for my child while the wife dealt with the immigration law acquire to deport her on Nigeria. most likely was your last a long time hope and he or she pretty much required secure. Then the beauty of laptop computer very well be declined. I consider that extraordinarily review ought to be done frequent to Fiji, even every and every two many cover up a lot of firms possible. The enable and furthermore inspiration of leading segment system for example Fiji commence accountants, The Fiji bosses Federation and Fiji countries hotel room and tourists affiliation is likely to aid in acquiring and maintaining credibleness with buyers and supporting personal engaging,

1. [...] (great for holding a bowl of ice cream too) Syzygy of Me: Microwave Bowl Potholder and Tutorial Fat Quarter Friday {guest post from Syzygy of Me} Reply With [...]